By Lilian Ntege
English pancakes are different form American pancakes; they are much thinner and contain no leavening. They are traditionally made in UK on shove Tuesday (Pancake Day), but can be enjoyed any day.
They take a few minutes to make and can fill them with any choice of sweet fillings. Therefore, if you are looking for a simple quick kind of breakfast, Aineamani Twesigye of Go Snack, Ntinda, takes us through the process of making homemade English pancakes in less than 30mins.
- ¼ cup of milk
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Tablespoon of sugar
- 1 Tablespoon of salt
- Half cup of baking flour
- 2 Tablespoons of baking power
- In a large bowl, whisk two eggs, sugar, salt, milk and a drizzle of oil until the mixture is well dissolved.
- Mix the flour and baking powder aside and add it to the first ingredients in the bowl. Whisk again until you get a smooth batter.
- Pre-heat the pan on a medium heat, but do not use any oil.
- Use a rounded serving spoon to scoop off some of the mix from the bowl onto the pan.
- Using minimal heat, let it cook for about two minutes then flip it over to the other side, cook again for 2minutes until it’s lightly golden.
When it’s ready, transfer the pancake to a plate and as desired, drizzle some honey, cream, chocolate or olive oil on top and enjoy your meal. This can be served with fresh juice or tea.