By Lilian Ntege
Amidst all the cooking that takes place during the festive season, it is only in order to have something light for dessert, and that is a sponge cake. It has been well known for families to have plenty of food on Christmas day, and accompanying it with a vanilla sponge cake will be worthwhile.
It is believed by most bakers that a sponge cake is one of the easiest cakes to make.
Many bakers have various ways of preparing the vanilla sponge cake, some prefer to leave out baking powder and baking soda and use mostly whipped eggs or egg whites, while others use all these ingredients.
Dorah Namujuzi of Dorina Cakes, Natete, takes us through the process of making a vanilla sponge cake, in her own perspective.
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- ½ tablespoon of baking soda
- ¼ cup of yogurt
- ½ cup of sugar (white)
- ¼ cup of butter
- ½ cup of milk
- ½ tablespoon of vanilla extract.
- Start by creaming the flour, baking powder and baking soda with yogurt.
- Then add yogurt, sugar, butter and the vanilla extract. Mix for some few minutes until combined well.
- You can add other spices like cinnamon or any other as preferred.
- Lastly, add milk in the mixture and mix very well until it is incorporated into batter.
- Preheat the oven before you place the cake batter into it. It is very important to start baking the cake with the right temperature.
- Divide the batter between the prepared tins and bake in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and while still in the tin, place it on a rack for some time until it cools.
As it cools, it gets fluffy, moist, light and delicious. You can experiment with glitter sprinkles, fondant icing or any topping of your choice.